' Diane's blog Brings out the passion in You. You're Welcome

Ad 468 X 60

Saturday 1 June 2013

Widgets

THE FIRST TIME I SAW MY PERIOD WAS THE WORST DAY EVER


THE FIRST TIME I SAW MY PERIOD WAS THE WORST DAY EVER
By Chinua Marie

I didn’t know the meaning of menses until I turned 10. When I was younger than that, I used to see my aunt rolling up tissue and putting in her pant. I never understood the meaning. I just thought my aunt was weird. There were also times I saw her removing something that looked like paper with red paint spread all over. I never knew what she was doing until I got admitted into a boarding school.
That was the time I started hearing about “pap”, “bread and stew”, “killing foul…ah, the list is endless. My first lecture in Home Economics was “Menstruation and Menstrual cycle. When I first heard the lecture, I remembered my aunt and what she used to do down there. I laughed at my ignorance. Again, while I started getting used the hostel life, I began to see most of my seniors with a pack of something they called “Pad”. At a point, I became so confused that I decided to ask questions. My fellow JJC’s laughed at my questions but before weeks passed, I learnt all there was to know about Menses without forgetting the part that said “ALL WOMEN MUST EXPERIENCE IT”. I heard it was very painful too and that blood rushed from the vagina like a river flow.
I panicked and prayed to God to delay mine till I was ready. I hated being a woman, developing breasts and hips and all that. I hated all that. I just wanted to be like the boys. At that point, it seemed God answered my prayers as most of my classmates began to see theirs and I didn’t see mine! JSS1 came, JSS2 came, I did not see it. JSS3 came, I began to get worried. I was 13 and seemed to be the only girl that has not started her “PERIOD”. My cousin, Nneka, whom was in my class, 14 yrs, had started seeing hers that month. That was when my panic-strickness turned tables. I began to get worried, what was wrong with me? Why am I not like the others? Come January, I started witnessing some intruders in my private region. They were whitish in colour. I didn’t know what it meant too and I was worried. I went to ask my cousin. I said, “Nneka, it seems am ill”. She asked, “whats wrong?”. I told her that for the past three days, whitish drawing liquid have been coming out of my vagina”. She laughed and shouted, “HOSTEL, Marie has started seeing her pap ooooo”. All eyes turned towards me. I became so shy. I asked Nneka in a very low tone what she meant oblivious of the fact that that all my hostel mates heard me. Nneka called me MUMU and told me that my period will soon start.
What?! I didn’t say a word. I went straight to my bed and started crying. I felt humiliated. Anything that concerned my vagina is not something I wanted to be discussed in the open. Now everybody will know that am about to see my period, now everybody will be looking at my bom bom to know if blood will drop out. I became scared that one of those girls in the hostel will tell the boys in the class and all of them will keep looking at me in awe just like they did to Sopulu. Then, I cried myself to sleep till the next morning, forgetting assignments I had to submit the next morning.
The next morning, I woke up in a start. I felt perspirations all over my face. I was sweating profusely. I tried to remember what happened last night. I became very sad when the memory caught up with me. My feelings became worse when I remembered that I was yet to finish my English assignment to be submitted that morning….and mheen, the English aunty was very mean!
I forgot about my menses predicament and hurried to finish the assignment, without realizing the sharp pains I was feeling below my tummy. Did I tell you that my school uniform was white in colour? I did not write the assignment because that day was Tuesday, my scheduled day to wash the rest room. Invoking English Aunty’s anger is better than experiencing that dreadful wrath of the Matron. The rest room must be washed before 6pm or else…and I woke up by 5:30. So the assignment had to wait till after the Morning Assembly and the English class was the first to be held every Tuesdays. What a good day its gonna be!
After the assembly, as we usual, we all rushed to our seats before we were caught standing because…if the English Teacher catches you standing, you remain standing till the end of the 2hours lecture. My sit was in the front row, just a step before the teacher’s position. It was when I sat down that I felt a sharp pain below my abdomen, followed by a rush of something very wet on top of my panties. I felt very wet and uncomfortable. I didn’t understand what was happening to me, I felt very bad. I couldn’t leave the class either or else…
The English teacher wrote “English” on the board, including the day’s date. She then introduced the day’s topic and turned to face the class. She said, “I remember I gave you people assignment, how many people did not do it?”. I raised my hand, only me. GUSH!! The teacher stared at me in surprise and said, “Marie? A whole you!! What happened? Why didn’t you do it?”. Of course you dared not answer a teacher’s question sitting down, so I stood up.
That moment that I stood up was the day I made history in Excellence Academy. As I stood up, I began to hear girls giggling at the back and the guys….laughing uncontrollably. The teacher forgot her question as she couldn’t understand what was amiss. She pointed at a guy and asked him why he was laughing like a mad man. The boy continued laughing. This got the teacher annoyed and she repeated the question. The guy, Emeka, seeing that the matter was no longer a joke, said “Ma, I just saw you and remembered the mad woman living behind my compound”. The class burst into hysterics of laughter. I laughed too. The teacher’s face was so red that she almost killed the guy with her stoned face expression. She flogged Emeka 24 strokes of cane and sent us all in the field to cut the class for the whole day…….because we laughed.
As the teacher left to get more canes to lash us, the guys continued to look at me and my skirt. By then I had sat down. It was my girlfriend, Chioma, who came to my seat, gave me her sweater to tie around my buttocks and requested I follow. I was so confused as they continued to giggle as we left. On our way to the hostel, Chioma told me what happened. JESUS! I cried! The most embarrassing moment of the years!! I didn’t say a word. I just followed Chioma quietly. She talked to the matron and the matron let us inside the hostel. Chioma was so nice but that didn’t ease the ache around my chest. She gave me water to take my bath, gave me one packet of her pad and showed me how to use. She saw my face and said not to worry that the rumor will die down in a few days. In a FEW DAYS!! I said in my head. I told her I didn’t want to go back to class that day, that I was too tired. She made excuses for me and the matron allowed me stay.
As she left, I let out yellings of cries. I cried and cried and cried. Who am I going to tell that am now a woman? How am I going to face my classmates again? How will I talk to Emeka again, the guy I had been secretly admiring since I entered the school? Before school was over that day, everyone in school was going to be told that Marie has started seeing her period! OMG. Death was worst than this.  I was ashamed of telling my mum. I didn’t want her to start advising me about boys like she did my sister.
Days passed by, I didn’t talk to anyone in class, not girls, not boys. I was always looking stone-faced. My friends tried talking to me but I hushed them away. I decided to stay on my own, to face the embarrassment alone. Some guys started to call me BIG GIRL at my back. At times, I came to class to find notes in my locker. One said, “Its me Iyke, Now that you’re woman, can we hang out some time, cant wait to have my hands on your ripened juice”. That was so disgusting. Another one wrote, “baby, nyetu m obara gi kam racha”. The notes breezed in everyday and some without names, other names, I had never heard before (forged). It was as though whenever I saw any guy looking at me, he was saying, “I know you are carring something in your buttocks right now”. This continued for so long and made me very stern and mean to guys. I hated the way they laughed at me that day. I swore within me that I HATE GUYS. Some girls that laughed at me later apologized.
However, as time passed by, people seemed to have forgotten but I know that whenever menses is mentioned to freshers in school, I always pop into people’s mind. It’s a good thing though coz I became very popular.
So guys who are reading this, your laughters during this kind of situation is very hurtful and again, young ladies out there, learn from my ignorance. IGNORANCE IS A DEADLY DISEASE. If I had known the meaning of the pains I was experiencing, I would have saved my self such disgrace coz that was what I considered it to be.
Meanwhile, I didn’t tell my mum I had started seeing my menses until i travelled, during junior waec holiday. She was so pissed at me and guess what? The advices still breezed in. hope u njoyd ma story. HAVE A FUN FILLED DAY

SHARE THIS POST   

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati

1 comment:

  1. nice 1 diane ....i must confess you are a good writer,i read ur novel 'the first time' you did a great job.....

    ReplyDelete